Unpaid child support and passport applications

On Behalf of | Apr 15, 2017 | Family Law |

When it comes to back child support, many people realize certain consequences, such as wage garnishment and arrest. However, in Naples, Florida, and the entire U.S., parents who fall far enough behind on their child support are affected in other ways as well. For example, they could lose their ability to leave the country for work purposes or personal travel.

According to the Administration for Children and Families, non-custodial parents who owe more than $2,500 in back child support are unable to use their passport or successfully apply for a passport. In fact, even after a parent has satisfied their child support obligations, it will take a certain amount of time before they will have the ability to receive a passport.

On their website, the U.S. Department of State discusses which steps non-custodial parents should take if they applied for a passport even though they have more than $2,500 in unpaid child support. For starters, parents in this position should make payment arrangements with the state, which will notify the federal government of the arrangements. If satisfactory payment arrangements are in place, the parent’s name is taken off of the list and he or she is able to move forward with the passport application process normally. However, this process may take up to a few weeks.

From passport problems to legal trouble, unpaid child support can make life hard in many ways and it is essential for people to remain committed to fulfilling their obligations. Sometimes, parents are able to resolve these types of issues by modifying their child support order.

FindLaw Network