Can ending my marriage affect my taxes?

On Behalf of | Jul 28, 2017 | Family Law |

Whether you are worried about paying spousal support or child support, are unsure of how your marital property will be split up, or are afraid that you will not be able to spend enough time with your child, divorce can bring all sorts of questions and worries. Moreover, there are other divorce-related matters that you should realize. For example, splitting up with your spouse could result in a number of tax-related changes.

The Internal Revenue Service states that there are various ways divorce can affect your taxes. After you split up with your spouse, you may change your last name. In order to avoid your tax refund from being delayed, it is pivotal for you to make sure the Social Security Administration has your correct name. Moreover, if you receive spousal support, you need to pay taxes on it. On the other hand, you will be able to deduct spousal support payments that you make. Child support, however, is not deducted or taxed.

After ending your marriage, you may lose health care coverage. However, you are required to have health insurance coverage and failing to do so can also have negative consequences when you file taxes. If you anticipate that any of these issues will affect you personally, it is crucial to make sure that you thoroughly understand your responsibilities in order to avoid tax-related problems.

The material that has been presented in this piece was written for the purposes of providing general information and is no substitute for legal recommendations.

FindLaw Network