Yes, a child support modification is possible

On Behalf of | Oct 3, 2017 | Blog |

If there comes a time when you are no longer able to make your child support payments in full, you need to learn more about your legal rights.

Although there is no guarantee the court will agree with you, filing a request for a child support modification is the one step that you probably need to take. This is much better than waiting around and hoping that something changes with respect to your financial situation.

If you need to request a child support modification, here are the things you should do:

  • Take immediate action. The court expects you to pay in full and on time until you receive a modification, so you need to act fast.
  • Learn more about the laws in your state. You need to have a good reason for requesting a child support modification, such as a change in circumstances.
  • Reach out to the other parent. If this person agrees to a modification, it’s much easier to obtain the approval of the court.
  • Keep up with payments. Even if you are unable to make payments in full, you should send as much money as possible. You want to show the court that you are doing your best.
  • Prove that you have a change in circumstances. For instance, if you lost your job, collect all the proof that you have so you can provide it to the court.

Once you do all these things, you need to file a formal request for a child support modification.

This may not be something you’re looking forward to, but you need to do what’s in the best interest of you and your child. Knowing how to file a request for a child support modification could come in handy at some point in the future.

FindLaw Network