How to best co-parent children

On Behalf of | Jul 22, 2020 | Child Custody |

If you have joint custody in Florida, there are always challenges in terms of both the children and your relationship with the other spouse. Nonetheless, it is possible for everything to work out in the end. There are many things that you can do as your part towards establishing a strong co-parenting arrangement that benefits the children.

Everything is in the best interests of the children

The overarching principle needs to be that everything is about the children. This starts when you negotiate the custody agreement. You should choose a schedule that you are able to accommodate as well as one that works for the kids’ specific circumstances. You should be flexible when it comes to negotiating the right arrangement. Then, you should always make sure that the children feel that they are heard. They will want to talk and be listened to during and after the process.

Communication is the key

In dealing with the other parent, it is best to adopt a tone of respect. Communication is important because it can either make or break the co-parenting relationship. If you are having trouble communicating, there are various systems that can promote dealings between the parents. Most important, you should remember that the other parent may not have been the best spouse, but they can still be a good parent. Holding grudges from married life may end up undermining attempts at working together. This also means that you should be judicious when it comes to choosing battles with the other parent. Not everything should end up in a fight.

Hiring a family law attorney can help your co-parenting relationship get off to a solid start. The reason is because the lawyer could help you build many of these best practices into the custody agreement. Your lawyer may also help you when it comes to negotiating a schedule that is best for your children. You may benefit from your attorney’s experience because they might offer suggestions based on what they know to work in divorced families.

FindLaw Network